Topics Courses in Mathematics, using Proofscape
Thoroughly understanding one or two large, complicated proofs is an excellent goal for a topics course in mathematics.
What if we recorded our insights in such a course, by writing Proofscape modules?
A quick sketch
Check out this quick video (01:42) for a look at the basic idea!
A fuller discussion
If you would like to learn more, try this longer discussion (23:03), or use the links below to jump to various topics!
- (00:00) Start (including the intro)
- (01:46) Start (after the intro)
- (04:52) Begin Proofscape demo
- (06:08) Let's look at Proposition 1
- (06:56) Open up the proof of Prop 1
- (07:51) The need for an expansion
- (09:13) Let's look at the source code
- (10:00) Hierarchically structured expansions
- (10:48) Making use of screen space
- (11:22) Overview & Detail (again)
- (11:55) Some advantages of the flow chart format
- (12:44) Identifying "pivot objects"
- (14:30) Exploring examples
- (17:15) Wrapping up with Catalan
- (18:00) New topic: FLT for regular primes
- (19:48) A walkthrough of FLT for regular primes
- (22:08) Conclusions
More videos illustrating what Proofscape is and how it works can be found here.